»

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Driving from the airport into the city, we caught a glimpse of Las Penas neighborhood and the Cerro Santa Ana Lighthouse. The colorful hillside is one of the things that makes me want to visit Gauy again. I need more time to explore this city! I want to climb up that hill!
Guayaquil has a tougher and less traditional feel than Quito. The last ten years have seen a lot of urban renewal and dramatic changes in infrastructure. The Malecon 2000 is a boardwalk that borders the Guayas River. Restaurants and shops are interspersed with gardens, monuments, public art, and play areas, and anchored by a theater and museum. I would have loved to spend some time there, but our city tour was mostly in a bus. We got an overview of the city, but I didn't feel we really experienced it. Maybe someday!
We did get to pop into this cathedral. Across the street is one of my favorite places from out trip. Iguana Park. There a hundreds of iguanas of many different species covering this small city park. Every branch of every tree has an iguana laying on it. Kids and their parents are here playing with them and feeding them. It is bizarre and lovely.























I would love to take the kids here. While I love Quito, I think the kids would get more enjoyment from what Guayaquil offers. Also, the elevation is lower so they would be more comfortable too. Now I just need to convince Todd to take us all to Ecuador!

No comments: